Description – The Ohio Department of Transportation’s Division of Construction Management provides Worksite Traffic Supervisor (WTS) Prequalification Testing. Individuals fulfilling the role of WTS are required to be prequalified per WTS Plan Note first published on July 20, 2018 (and versions thereafter).
Prerequisites – Do not register for WTS Prequalification testing until the prerequisites have been completed. Prerequisite details are the following:
- 1) Applicant shall have reviewed the statewide WTS Plan Note current as of 7/19/19 publication or later (can be found in the Traffic Engineering Manual, Part 6, Section 642-44).
- 2) Applicant shall have been trained appropriate to the job decisions they are required to make, including those of a WTS in implementing the Transportation Management Plan (TMP) and other safety and mobility aspects, within the past 5 years.
Immediately before the test is taken the applicant will be asked to electronically confirm the following:
- A) That they understand the duties and responsibilities required of a WTS and will continue to review the plan note within the plans on all projects in which they are designated the primary or alternate/secondary WTS to ensure they remain up to date with the latest WTS requirements and the specific contract requirements.
- B) That the training in #2 above has been completed within the past 5 years; understanding that the training shall be repeated in intervals of no longer than 5 years; and, that they are ready and able to provide details of the training completed to fulfill this requirement (without delay) upon request by ODOT, FHWA or others.
If the applicant is unable to confirm one or both items, they will not be allowed to take the WTS prequalification test and will be required to leave and register again after the prerequisites have been completed.
Additional Information – Based on the Urgent Health Advisory for Ohio due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please note the following updates and safety protocols for all upcoming sessions of Worksite Traffic Supervisor (WTS) Prequalification Testing.
All test takers MUST be pre-registered. Space is limited due to social distancing requirements. Any person who arrives without being pre-registered for testing will be asked to leave. In an effort to offer testing to the greatest number of people, please register for only one testing session at a time. Any additional registrations are subject to cancellation if testing sessions approach registration capacity.
Please bring with you:
- Face mask/covering
- Government issued photo identification card
- Non-programmable calculator (item intended and designed to be used only as a calculator)
- Pen or pencil
- Your MyODOT username and password
Under the new safety protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic, attendees are still NOT permitted to bring reference materials or spec books into the testing site. As with previous sessions, a supply of reference resources will be available on-site to borrow during testing. WTS applicants are expected to have knowledge and will be tested on items from: Ohio Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (OMUTCD) Part 6 and related chapters; 2019 ODOT Construction and Material Specifications (C&MS) Section 614 and related sections; Statewide Plan Notes; Quality Standards for Temporary Traffic Control Devices (TTCD) & Acceptable Delineation Methods for Vehicles; and ODOT Standard Construction Drawings (SCDs). See WTS Training and Prequalification Testing FAQs for a full list of specific reference documents for test preparation purposes.
No cell phones, tablets or laptops will be allowed. No calculators, pens or pencils will be available for loan due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Failure to bring these items with you means you will have to take the test without them.
Everyone registering to complete an exam MUST have applied for and obtained a MyODOT username and password and must bring both with them to the test in order to login to the online testing system at the ODOT Computer Training Room. The instructions on how to obtain your MyODOT username and password are available at this link: How to Obtain a MyODOT Username and Password.
Failure to have obtained your MyODOT username and password ahead of time WILL result in being rescheduled to take the exam another day. Please obtain your MyODOT credentials at least four days before the testing date.
Please note the following summary of protocols for testing:
- Face mask/covering is required
- Temperature will be taken at door
- No materials will be brought into testing site
- Must have ID (official state or federal)
- Bring your own calculator (non-programmable)
- Bring a pen or pencil
- Maintain social distancing of at least six feet
- No gathering in the building (inside); must leave when testing is completed
- You must have your MyODOT username and password to be tested (must be obtained before the testing day).
If you are sick or not feeling well, or if you have any reason to believe you have been exposed to the coronavirus: please DO NOT show up at the testing site, and DO NOT attend the testing session.
- Tuesday, September 28, 2021 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM (closed)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223
- Tuesday, September 28, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (8 seats left)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM (8 seats left)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (8 seats left)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223
- Tuesday, December 7, 2021 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM (8 seats left)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223
- Tuesday, December 7, 2021 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (8 seats left)ODOT Computer Training Room, 1616 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223